As kids start going back to school, you feel like summer is over and fall is right around the corner. With fall coming up, The Gunny Sack has the best easy dessert recipe. It is easy to make and doesn’t require too many ingredients. If you love apples and caramel, this is for you! Recipe below.
- 2 Honeycrisp apples (or other crisp apples)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 caramels
- Optional toppings that are delicious: vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- To get the blooming apple look, you need to cut the apples. Slice off the top ¼ to ⅓ of the apples. Scoop out the core with a melon baller or stainless steel measuring spoon.
- Use a thin paring knife to make two, deep circular cuts around the center of the apple. Next, turn the apple over and make narrow cuts all the way around the apple. Flip it back over and you can see all of the cuts.
- Place the apples in an oven safe dish and put two caramels into the center of each apple.
- Heat butter and brown sugar in the microwave for 30 second, stir and continue heating for an additional 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir in flour and cinnamon. Divide the mixture over the top of the two sliced apples.
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. (Check apples after 25 minutes and continue cooking until tender. Some apples can take 45 min to 1 hour to soften.)
- Remove from the oven and use a large spoon to move the apples into bowls.
- Top with a scoop of ice cream, drizzle with caramel and sprinkle with cinnamon. The ice cream will cause the caramel in the center to harden so eat quickly or put the ice cream scoop on the side.
I don’t love apples, but I love caramel and ice cream. This is a good dessert and it is easy to whip up. You definitely have to eat this warm. It is a great fall dessert or even anytime dessert. Definitely top with ice cream!