When you love Mac and cheese and grilled cheese separately, you should try them together….in a sandwich! This could be a fun lunch or a dinner, depending on how you roll. We had it for dinner, made by my sister in law, while I played with the babies. Delish always has the best recipes. Recipe below.
- 1 (6- to 8-oz) box macaroni and cheese
- 2 tbsp. butter (plus more for cooking)
- 1/4 c. milk
- 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 8 slices of your favorite bread
- In a medium saucepan filled with boiling water, cook macaroni until al dente, about 7-8 minutes. Drain.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the same pot over low heat. Add milk and cheese packet and whisk well. Turn off the heat and return macaroni. Add 1/2 to 1 cup of cheddar and stir until the cheddar is melted and the macaroni is evenly coated in the cheese sauce. Remove from heat. Fold in bacon pieces.
- Assemble sandwiches: Butter one side of each piece of bread. For each sandwich, place one slice of bread buttered side down on a clean working surface or plate. Cover bread with cheddar cheese, then spoon macaroni and cheese on top. Sprinkle with more cheddar then top with one more slice of bread, buttered side up. Repeat process with remaining bread. (You may have leftover macaroni and cheese.)
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Place 1 to 2 sandwiches (or however many will fit) in the skillet and cook until bread is golden and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side.
At first I really liked it, but as I kept eating, I wish they were separate. It's good for sure, but I prefer to eat just a grilled cheese with a side of Mac and cheese.