I have been slacking the past two weeks, but I am back! What better way to come back than a recipe using a drink from Michigan. They apparently serve these at Parks and Rec Diner in Detroit and Down with Detroit was nice enough to share the recipe. If you don’t want to bake them, go there and eat them! The frosting, soooo good!!! Recipe below.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup Vernors
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Trader Joe’s cookie butter (I used Biscoff Cookie Butter, no Trader Joe’s near my house)
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 7 tablespoons of Vernors
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, brown sugar, salt, and ginger. In a measuring cup, combine the Vernors, butter, vanilla, and eggs; whisk together.
- Pour liquid ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients, and stir to combine. Divide the batter among the lined cups.
- Bake on 350 for 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and cookie butter. On low speed, beat in the confectioners’ sugar; then beat in the Vernors.
- Spread frosting over cupcakes.
Seriously I cannot get over this frosting! It is so good! You may just want to eat the frosting. The cupcake doesn’t really taste like Vernors, but still good! Easy to make and homemade, no box mix here!