We first tried this soup at Epcot’s Food and Wine Festival and loved it! Of course I waited till an 85 degree day to make it. This one comes out of the Food and Wine Festival cookbook. Recipe below!
1/2 pound of bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
3 celery ribs, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken stock
4 cups milk
1 pound grated white cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
Coarse salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 cup warm beer
Chopped scallions or chives, for garnish
1. Cook bacon over medium heat in a Dutch oven for about 5 minutes, or until lightly browned, stirring often.
2. Add onion, celery, and butter; sauté until onion softens, about 5 minutes.
3. Add flour and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes over medium heat. Whisk in chicken stock and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add milk and continue to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not boil after adding milk.
5. Remove from heat and stir in cheese, Tabasco, Worchestershire sauce, salt and pepper until cheese is melted and soup is smooth. Stir in warm beer. If soup is too thick, thin with warm milk.
6. Serve hot, garnished with chopped scallions or chives.
My soup had a little kick to it, but everyone seemed to like it. I was nervous that it was too spicy, but dad liked it! It doesn’t take too much time to make this soup so even if you are tight on time you can still make it.