Happy September! September to me means fall and apple orchards. Unfortunately, I cannot find a good apple orchard donut like they have in Michigan, and I don’t get a fall in Florida. It is just hot and rainy. With September in mind, I thought these mini donut muffins would be the perfect thing. Recipe below!
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg or cloves
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 c unsalted butter, melted
1/2 c granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease mini muffin tin (cavities and the top). Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter and sugar.
- Add spices and vanilla, whisk well.
- Add milk and whisk again.
- Add dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Fill the muffin pan
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of each muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 2 minutes, transfer onto a wire rack.
- Prepare the coating: melt butter in a small bowl; in another small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon.
- When muffins are completely cool, dunk each one in melted butter and then roll in cinnamon sugar. Return onto wire rack and let cool for few minutes.
I didn’t have a mini muffin pan, so I used mini muffin wrappers and fill those and put them on a baking sheet. For the most part they stayed true to form. Some of them got a little crazy, but it could be that I filled that one too high. I also don’t have a wire rack, paper towels work just as well for cooling (as you can see in the picture).
They are good, no doubt. A little too much nutmeg for my taste, but they are still delicious. You can’t just eat one either. You will want seconds. They are good for breakfast, a snack, or dessert.